Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dots and squares and floor plans

You might remember playing dots and squares as a child. Well, there is another turn taking game with pencil and paper that Genevieve and I engaged in on the bus. I call it layout. Genevieve might call it floor plan.

Each take turns drawing a room or significant object as you would see it on a floor plan. I draw the driveway, she does the garage. I block out the kitchen, she draws the basement (yeah, I know, different level, but I just go with it). I draw the fire pit, she draws the swing set.

The wheels turn inside her head. My intention is for her to understand it like a very personal map, on a very scale more accessible than any commercial road map.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this idea. I spent hours drawing floor plans when I was a kid. I think it is something kids are naturally drawn to -- it's like playing house or something. Very cool. I might even pull it out for some of my kindergartners. Incidentally, I have a book on teaching reading called I See What You Mean, where the author opines that both drawing and reading diagrams is a seriously neglected branch of literacy.

    ReplyDelete