Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gruffalo rhymes with Buffalo

Oh, I can see the end of the days of my deep and daily involvement with children's picture books -- it's not here yet, but a couple-three-four years and we'll be on to other things. Sigh. I'll enjoy it while I can.



The Gruffalo's Child
Author: Julia Donaldson
Illustrator: Axel Scheffler


I shouldn't miss another winter reading season without mentioning this one. A story with rhythm and rhyme, a little suspense, identification of animal body parts, and an easy-to-identify-with monster protagonist. The Gruffalo child is a girl, and we meet her, her Gruffalo daddy, and the forest animals she encounters on her search for the Big Bad Mouse.

I love the playful detail in the illustrations: the progression of the weather during the story (from snowing hard to clear and starry); the forest trees that can look like they have a face; the stick doll carried by the Gruffalo child; and the "animal extras" that look on from the dark of the forest.

I think this is our third winter with the book, and it has not suffered from repeated readings (even a few in the summer months).

No comments:

Post a Comment