Saturday, August 9, 2008

Sixteen thousand words

Genevieve, my four-year old wall of sound, can wear me down. She is intent on exceeding the average adult word-count-per-day of 16,000 every single day. Good practice, I suppose.

I kept my sanity and composure today, despite the fact that Mommy had a job all day and night. I had some good breaks.

First, I babysat the 2 year old son of one of our friends this morning, and we went to a playground, so they all played with each other or some of the random kids at the park. Also, some of the 16,000 words were spent there.

Then, my plot to wear them out in the morning bore fruit. Genevieve made lunch for herself and her sister (mixed nuts, fruit, and other healthy stuff). Post-lunch, both daughters got a good nap.

After nap, I rolled out the slip-n-slide and they ran to it like bees to honey. When it began to rain, Genevieve wanted to play with her umbrella. I told her no, she was wearing a bathing suit, and umbrellas weren't to play with anyhow. Unfazed, she went into the house, stripped off the suit, donned clothes and presented herself on the back patio dressed and ready to use her umbrella. Ooops, the passing shower was over.

Foiled, she walked over and chatted with one of our neighbors who was out in his incredible vegetable garden. Then, she gathered up her sister and went over to the second-house-down neighbor's house to play with the children there (and work off some of the 16,000).

Genevieve put in words 15,000 through 16,000 while watching some of the Olympics tonight. I'm thrilled to introduce them to a bunch of different athletic activities. They are fascinated by any sort of race, and Genevieve seemed to like volleyball. Most of the final thousand words were conversing about sports and how people do them, so those were an easy bunch of words for daddy to digest.

As a side note, it is wonderful to have children who eagerly eat broccoli (both) and asparagus (Reesa).

No comments:

Post a Comment