Saturday, July 19, 2008

Price of raspberries

How much are raspberries worth?

No, I am not talking about dollars per pound. They are dentacious to the pocketbook at a grocery store, and by the time you get them at the store they have lost that special umph, that zippy tang of direct unadultered summer on the tongue.

The real cost of raspberries this summer in our backyard is "how many mosquito bites per berry" are you willing to put up with. Oh sure, I could've gone in and put on long pants, a long sleeve shirt and a mosquito net hood. But where's the sport in that.

Tonight, I lasted four minutes. Eighteen berries (twelve for me, six for Reesa), and three bites (mosquitoes on me). My hands spent as much time swatting at insects as searching and picking berries. Ultimately, it wasn't the actual bites that drove me away, but rather the lack of joy in the pursuit of the berries under the harrassing attack of the blood-sucking bombers.

Note: I made up "dentacious," as in "That which creates a significant dent in another object." As in, I was too lazy and hurried to lose momentum on publishing this post, and didn't look up a real word.

Photo is mine.


PS -- we welcome a new cousin to the family. Alexandra Paige (? do I have that right?), born in good health yesterday to my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment