Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Coloring books


We hardly ever use coloring books in our house. I think that we have a couple, but the children don’t seem to ask for them and we don’t really push them. Free-form drawing on scrap paper with crayons is a favorite pastime. Sometimes, I will join in, and what I draw might influence Olivia’s drawings for that session. And then, on her own, Olivia will draw something that looks like a red car, on her own and out of the blue.

Now, if you were to ask Lily what color is that car in the drawing, she would say, “blue!” I don’t believe she is color-blind, but simply uni-colored. In fact, any sentence addressed to her containing the word “color” gets a response of “blue!”

She will usually, but not always, listen to what I think the color is, and dutifully repeat what I say.

“No, this is red, Lily. Can you say red? Red.”

“Wed.”

“Very good. Now, what color is this?”

“Blue!”

No comments:

Post a Comment