Thursday, February 14, 2008

Surprise

During the car ride home at the end of our work/school day yesterday, I talked to the children about their role in helping me with the Valentine's gift for my wife. I needed to sneak in a large piece of red card stock with which to create many many hearts to hide around the house, and a few chocolate truffles. The general gist of the conversation went something like this--

Daddy: "Okay, girls, when we get home, after you take off your boots and coats, I'll need to to distract momma in the bathroom, okay?"

Genevieve: "Sure. What will we do, daddy?"

Daddy: "Umm, how about if you take her there to show her the pictures you drew today?"

Genevieve: "Okay."

"While you're doing that, I'll sneak the present in, then I'll let you know when I'm done doing that."

"And then you'll give her the present?"

"Not until tomorrow."

"Oh."

"But it's a surprise, okay?"

"Oh, sure. It's a surprise!"

"Reesa, do you understand? We don't want to tell momma, because it's a surprise."

Reesa: "Ohh-kaaay."

So we arrive home, troop through the snow, and no sooner than she gets one foot in the house and sees her mother, Reesa screams, "We've got a PRESENT!"

And Genevieve tugs on Reesa's sleeve and proclaims, "Reesa, SHHHHH! Remember, it's a surprise!"

Hmm. Note to self -- Gonna have to work a little bit on how to approach these exciting topics with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment